Monday 1 November 2010

racks of bikes - nobody riding

I spent a couple of days in Brisbane last week. There is a scheme there to hire bikes in the city. One accesses the bike using a swipe card and use of the bike is free for up to 30 minutes. Seems like a great idea. But I saw rack after rack with not a single bike missing. I never saw a soul riding one.

What's wrong?

Is it the roads? I believe it is illegal to drive on the footpath - and though there are bike lanes on the roads they are very close to busses and heavy traffic.. I heard that one problem is that the law requires bike riders to wear a helmet yet health regulations prohibit the renting of a helmet with the bike. So anyone who wants to use the scheme must carry a bike helmet all day.

A bad piece of planning...

Posted via email from jayavant's posterous

No comments: