Monday 7 March 2011

Cropping the monk.

Strolling along Haeundae Beach in Busan, South Korea last month I suddenly encountered this monk, who was also apparently taking a stroll. My Mamiya 7 was around my neck and I simply pointed it and shot. "Shot from the hip", as the hipsters say.
I have mixed feelings about the result. It was fortunate that the last picture I had taken had been at a similar distance. It was a dull day but I had fast film and the aperture, focus, and, framing (almost) combine to give me the shot I wanted. Unfortunately I missed her foot. I cropped the photo down from 6x7 to a square, but I am still not totally pleased. So I copped much harder to give the closer portrait shot. Still not quite there...

Anyway - here are the 2 crops and the original. Which do you prefer?

Maybe this is why I prefer landscapes.
Camera - Mamiya 7
Lens - Mamiya 80/4
Film - Portra 400VC
Process - Unicolor 3 bath

Korean Buddhist monks are not like the monks to which I am accustomed. No poverty for them. They often have nice cars and can be seen wandering around wearing headphones and making calls on their iPhones.

Posted via email from jayavant's posterous

No comments: