Thursday 26 January 2012

I had an amusing and slightly disturbing encounter last time I entered Japan.

 

It was at Fukuoka, getting off the ferry from Busan, South Korea. I was the only non-Asian on the boat except for an  overweight American woman who seemed to be traveling with a mountain sized sumo.

The Customs official, after going through my suitcase meticulously, even opening my tube of toothpaste and looking incredulously at the rolls of film I was carrying, (Why you use film?". "To take photos."), asked me to take off my jacket. He then turned out the pockets and found a small seed of something. It had been there for ages and was nothing in particular.

He then proceeded to dismantle my suitcase, taking out the liner, checking everything again. Checking all my pockets. Turning out my wallet and examining the lining with a magnifying glass.

Then he asked me - "You are from Australia. Do you know Nimbin?"

Me - "Yes"

Him - "Have you been to Nimbin?"

Me - "Yes"

Him - "When did you go to Nimbin?"

Me - "On the 24th of October 1986."

Him "How long did you stay?"

Me - "47 minutes."

Him (still not batting an eyelid) - "Did you buy marijuana?"

Me - "No"

Him - "Do you like marijuana?"

Me - "No"

Him (leaning over and prodding me in the stomach) - "Do you like beer?"

Me - "I think you are getting a bit too friendly now. But, yes, I like beer."

He then became very friendly and spoke about Japanese beer. He recommended I try Yebisu beer and lamented that I was traveling on from Fukuoka almost immediately and would be unable to have a drink with him. As if I would...

He kept me more than 30 minutes. The area which had been packed with people arriving, was now empty. I went out and found my friend Bill waiting for me. He had been wondering here I was.

No-one else had been delayed or searched.

 

Posted via email from jayavant's posterous

No comments: